Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fun Time At The Hospital


WELL! I don't know about you, but I am so glad that yesterday 'is in the can', as I've heard them say in the film industry.

Gosh, what a day. It wasn't bad, just long and tedious. Our hospital rents the machine that does the kidney stone pounding (can't remember the name of the machine).

First, the truck hauling it broke down enroute. The hospital called us at home, "don't show up until 10:30 am". No problem. We arrived at the appointed time. Hubby gets prepped with needles in his arms so he can't move on the gurney. Then, we learn that the machine itself is 'broke' or malfuntioning in some way. We had to wait until 2:00 pm for Fed Ex to rush a part from somewhere. Then the doctor is so backed up with work that he can't get to Steve until about 5:30 pm.

With all this going on, we didn't return home until 9:30 pm! We were gone about 12 hours. The house was dark, doggies were worried and both of us were so tired. Steve had terrible nausea this time for some reason. He *never* throws up but did so twice last night. Poor guy. And I felt sorry for the hospital staff. They were tired too and couldn't go home for quite awhile. I thanked them all profusely, they kept apologizing and I said "it's not y'alls fault". We all had to smile and laugh at the comedy of errors. The staff were exceedingly kind. I got to talk about the love of Christ to quite a few people too. To me, that's a good day.

Our pastor and wife were able to visit with us that afternoon in the hospital and he looked tired (he's had heart trouble). I didn't know that he also has kidney stones but they can't be removed because of the pacemaker and he may bleed to death! Please continue to remember Pastor Byron Scott in prayer? Thanks y'all. Anyway, I made sure to keep the visit short so he wouldn't feel bad about having to leave and get some rest. Pastor said he's napping twice a day now. I hope that's a good thing. We all prayed together, then they could go home and relax. Their stopping by meant a lot to us. At least they live right there in town and only had to travel a couple of miles to get home. We live over 30 minutes from the hospital. That's not bad out here as it's "country minutes". All country driving, not much traffic. :o)

Short story long [giggle] all my husband's kidney stones have been pounded with sonic waves and a stint put in the right side to ease passage. The stint is scheduled to be removed in the Doc's office next Tuesday. Now the remains of the stones should pass as grains of sand and small pebbles as time progresses. Poor fellow is so sore and achy but at least now he can heal and, after about a week or so, get back to his normal activities.

Thanks so much for all the kind thoughts. I will certainly convey y'alls warm wishes his way.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys really had a day. I hope Steve gets to feeling better soon. You guys will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear it was such a long day. I continue to pray for Steve's recovery and for your pastor as well. I know the pastor's visit meant a lot to both of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my gosh, your husband has all my sympathy! I had one kidney stone once and it was HORRIBLE!!! SOOOOOO painful... can't imagine a whole bunch of them. Passing it was like shoving a bowling-ball-sized razor blade through a straw and shredding it all the way... ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOh, Ouch, Ackkk, Sorry the Stonenbrakenmachinen was on the fritz. I always heard those stones were caused by drinking iced tea and eating ice cream at the same time. Glad that's over. I know you both are too. We have been thinking about you. Tell hubby to get well soon. Oh by the way - I sometimes get two naps in. I missed my naps for twelve days so I've had to catch up. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope WS is feeling better today. I was curious about the part they ordered for the atom/kidney smasher. I hope it wasn't a box of paper clips or rubber bands. Continued prayers for your pastor and I'm glad you got to share with the medical staff. BTW, I'll have an episode of Officer Carey Blart for tomorrow's post, if I survive today's doubleheader. I believe the ballpark is the closest venue to the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been resting today as I am still tired. Steve is improving, just very uncomfortable.

    Thanks for commenting y'all. Try to stay cool and out of this heat. [whew] :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting caught up with your blog today - whew what a week you all had! Oh my! My husband had a kidney stone probably 5 years ago now, so I know what you both are going through. My prayers to you both and your precious Pastor and his wife.

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell