Friday, September 6, 2013

In Loving Memory Of A Very Good Dog

Maxie
07 June 2005
In better days

I hope this doesn't seem like I'm trying to solicit more sympathy, this is not what this post all about. Those of you who have already been so kind as to e-mail me separately offering condolences and sympathy, feel free to pass this one by, if so desired. And Thank You again for all the kind words and prayers. But I'm of the mind it would be nice to share with all here why I'm so silent for awhile. Maybe it's a little therapy for me too. [grin]

My little dog Maxie of almost 15 years passed away Wednesday, September 4th. During her last days it was exceedingly rough on all of us. Due to aging, she had suffered from severe cataracts, was almost completely deaf. She'd lost her cute little squeaky bark and the Cushings Disease caused her limbs to be almost completely atrophied. It was pitiful to watch. During the last few hours of life she was going into renal failure. I had to do something. Quick! So, our kindly country Vet opened his office late in the evening for us. Hubby and I held her while he administered the drugs. She dozed off very peacefully while I stroked her head and spoke sweetly into her good ear. I told the Vet, I was sorry he had to be the one to do this (sometimes we tend to forget, doctors have feelings too). Thanked him. Then we drove her earthly remains home to rest next to our other little fur babies under the majestic oaks next to the cemetery next door. She is buried with her favorite bed and squeaky ball.

That little dog was very near and dear to my heart. I used to always proclaim "I won't go anywhere Maxie can't go!" and I meant that. Yesterday was beyond hard. I kept feeling her all around me. So, to ease the pain of separation, I set to cleaning the house. I stored or threw away items that remind of Maxie. It was amazingly therapeutic. I think things are better today. I'm only tearing up a little. [smile] Hubby misses her terribly too. I know it will take some time to heal. Truthfully, dealing with an aging pet was hard to begin with. I had to make special concessions for her, which I didn't mind, but that stress is gone now.

Anyway, for those of you don't already know, I made a memorial for her at one of my favorite websites: FindAGrave. If you're a member, please do leave a "flower" or comment here. I do appreciate everyone's kindness beyond measure. I plan to buy her a little doggie tombstone as soon as I find one that's appropriate. Nothing is too good for that little dog.

God bless you all.





3 comments:

  1. My heart breaks for you and your husband. We do get attached to our fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little sweetheart Maxie was. I hope you will share with us her tombstone once you find one you like. I'm sorry for you and your husband's loss. I know you miss her terribly. Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Sparky)))!!! (and Steve)--I feel so bad for y'all. Sending prayers and hugs. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell