Friday, March 1, 2024

Friday Fotos

 

March is definitely coming in like a lion. It has been SO WINDY lately that's what my hair must look like. πŸ‘€πŸ˜‚ Today we are meeting with other Church ladies at the County Farm Plant Company in Baxley to begin the process of Spring plantings. The gals have not been there before so I'm super excited to show them the ropes. It's acres and acres of plants, statues, fountains, and all types of ✨ sparkley's ✨ to spend our money on. Steve and I plan is to mostly stock up on flower seedlings with maybe a few veg's; the gals say they want mostly vegetables. It's all good. The time spent together will be wonderful. It's fun being with my Church family.

On Tuesday we drove over to Laura S. Walker State Park near Waycross to walk one of the nature trails. For my FaceBook friends apologies that this is a repeat. Thanks for hanging in there.πŸ˜‰

The piney woods are beginning to look like Spring. The trees are budding. There are wildflowers blooming, butterflies and moths flitting from place to place, and all manner of creatures coming alive with anticipation. The State built a nice, wide boardwalk over Big Creek and the part of the Okefenokee Swamp that intrudes on it. 
Steve led the way.

Shhh. It's the wild Sparky in her habitat. πŸ˜…


Red Maple Seeds laying in a mushroom

Yellow Jasmine

Ty Ty

Palmetto

He's so cute.

We finished the walk downing our thermos full of New England Hazelnut Creme coffee. It's a reward to myself for not complaining about the long walk. πŸ˜

Before heading off to Waycross to go shopping, we drove across US Hwy 1 to see if there's any wildlife moving around in the Okefenokee Swamp. There wasn't. Since neither of us wanted to spend $18 a person to go inside the park, we turned and burned the short distance to town. $36 for a couple of hours of sightseeing is a little too rich for my blood. 

In all the years I've lived here I don't know that I've ever noticed this historical marker at the Okefenokee. Vereen Bell was a Georgia boy, a writer, and a World War II hero. Y'all can read more about him here if so desired. 

So off we go into a new month and March be like ... 


πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…


Thanks for stopping by. I hope the rest of your day is lovely with fair winds and smooth pavement.
πŸ’“πŸ️πŸ’“

  

10 comments:

  1. Loved these photos from your recent adventures, Sparky. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wild Sparky in her habitat -- lololol. The two of you are stinkin' cute!
    How I wish I might tag along -- and learn a thing or two about planting. They probably showed us back in Girl Scouts but I wasn't paying attention. I always excuse my ineptitude by saying the armadillos or possums would destroy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your photos, Pam!! I wouldn't spend that money either. My goodness!! Where I work, the use fee is just $3.00. Big difference! I keep thinking I want to plant some tomatoes... but it's so easy to go to the Farmers' Market or Publix. Sigh. I can't wait to see your flowers blooming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, $18 a person is way too high. It's privately owned. I wish the State would buy them out and make it useable for everyone.
      We came home with so many flowers ... ! I'm going to be very busy for the next few days. 🌻

      Delete
  4. it has been about 50 years since we visited Okefenokee swamp. it is a beautiful place, and I love all these photos. this is my favorite type of park to wander. sounds like a blast to be out with friends in Gods nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The piney woods in the south look almost identical to our Pine Barrens. .white sandy soil , scrub pine, holly, swamp maples, clear cedar water. All we are missing is palmettos and big lizards. Oh and a couple kinds of poison snakes. I am happy you had a lovely time with your friends. I wish I could be part of it. Been cold here. No big winds yet. I was just wondering if March came in like a Lion for anyone. I guess you got it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woods probably are quite similar except for the critters. We do have way too many bitey things.
      You would be most welcome to join us. An extra dash of witty repartee would have been very welcome. I had a great time but the cold and the dampness made it difficult to relax. Bought an abundance of plants. I'm gonna be so tired of the evenings next week ... 😊

      Delete
  6. Welcome March!
    Your gardening day with your church sounds like a fun and productive time.
    You and Steve found a great place to visit. I love the maple seed and mushroom pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've had a nice day/week. I just saw you on FB eating out and enjoying some good food! LOL. We keep getting rain showers here, but we are happy for them. Enjoy your woods and flowers and plants and all things wonderful! We are blessed!! Amen?? Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think and don't hold me to it - there is a free pass for seniors to all parks.
    I sure did like all your photos! Very interesting.
    I like the meme too!

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell