Thursday, January 18, 2024

Thursday Thoughts


 ⛄ It's still colder than a witch's ... bra ... here for Southeast Georgia. It dropped down to 29*. Then the high was 45* which isn't too bad but still ... brrrr! Thankfully, none of the exposed pipes burst from the heavy freeze. Nothing urgent needed addressing at Red Bird Acres.  

⛄ So we little Country Mice decided to take a jaunt over to the Big City of Douglas to check out the new Publix. (Can you feel the excitement?!) πŸ˜πŸ˜… It was really crowded at the store which forced us to park waaaaay out towards the road then walk to the building in the freezing wind. I'm happy for the store that it's already so popular. It's big, bright, and well stocked, like every other Publix I've ever been in. Very pretty but I was disappointed, because we couldn't find our special Keto Sola bread. Imagine our further disappointment after leaving when we learned that it was on Aisle 10 in the freezer section. Who knew?! Well, next time we'll know! It's hard for us to find Sola way out in the boonies and it is the only real Keto bread that doesn't spike my blood sugar. Many brands claim to be keto but don't deliver in that department. All the other brands I've tried still spike my sugar which defeats the whole purpose of eating this way. 


 ⛄ But first, since it was the lunch hour by the time we arrived in Douglas, we stopped at the Ellianos Coffee shop for a sugar-free Hazelnut Frozen Frappe before shopping. Since going full Keto I've been able to give up eating 6 times a day for low-blood sugar (take note dietitians: eating so frequently was actually working against me and causing all manner of health problems). I'm also able to fast now for the first time since forever. Today was a fasting day but I had the munchies by noon. Best to not shop when everything looks appetizing. πŸ‘€πŸ˜…

⛄ After having fun at the Publix, we noticed that next door is a great big fancy schmancy PetSmart. I've been wanting to get a nicer bed for Jack because he's not been well. Jack is one of our 10 year old short-legged Jack Russell Terriers. His health has been wanting these days. Poor little guy. Our other JRT, his brother Sam, is in perfect health: lively, perky, lots of personality. But Jack always seems like he's zoned out or hurting. It's kinda worrying.
 
*Not Jack*
This is the new bed but Maggie claimed it. Little stinker.

This is Jack. He sleeps and throws up a lot these days. 
The Vet has pondered it but he is mystified as to the cause. 

⛄ Of the evenings Jack likes to lay between our two recliners. Jumping up on the sofa or our recliners has become difficult for his little legs. I think it must comfort him to be close to one of us so I had put an old grubby bed I found in the attic (I save everything) there to ease his aching bones. The new bed is super cushy with soft fur. Jack hesitated thus Maggie climbed right in and claimed it. Maybe Maggie will "let him" sleep there later on. 



⛄ Heading South we took the scenic route down GA Hwy 158 (East Baker Highway) to Waycross. The drive reminded me how pretty our area is. There are very few homes. It's mostly planted piney woods with old Water Oaks, tall Black Cherry and boggy bowls of standing water with stately Cypress. The South Georgia woods are full of Whitetails, possums, raccoons, snakes, birds and all manner of wildlife. These lovely sights make me sigh and sing in my heart to the Lord for letting us live here. When Steve's sister and family move up they might want to consider this route as a homesite. I'll have to check and see if internet is available yet. (There are still a lot of our areas that do not have fiber-to-the-curb yet. Those zones are dial-up or slow DSL.) By the time we arrived in Waycross we were both getting really hungry. It was time for the evening repast of fried shrimp at Captain Joe's Seafood. I'd been looking forward to that all day. After the meal I was so sleepy from the heavy bread coating that I felt like someone had put dope in the food. Steve said he felt it too. Just imagine, I used to slam my poor body with that garbage all the time! I think that is the last meal I will order fried shrimp. From now on it will be grilled. We had to hurry home to walk it off. πŸ˜• Ugh! Exercising and drinking lots of water is a good way to get that mess out of one's body quickly. 

⛄ So that was our day. Today we're working around here. Might also head over to the butcher's later to stock up on meat. It's wonderful eating carnivore. It's cheaper than loading up on crap food and certainly healthier. 

⛄ Have a fantastic day my friends. Ride safe. 


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a really nice day and in the future you know where the bread is!
    So thankful for the beauty God puts around us. Right now our beauty is all white, and sooo cold, but it's pretty and at least there's not more coming down at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've a nearby Ellianos, but I've never visited. I'll have to wait 'til the weather warms, but that sugar-free frappe sounds amazing. Liquid dessert for the tongue!
    Our 10 y/o fur babies are also finding it hard to jump, so we bought sets of doggie stairs -- one for the family room, another for the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s awful when one of the furbabies are feeling lowly. I hope Jack starts feeling better. Maybe he’s depressed? I know some for whatever reasons are and they now give antidepressants to dogs. Poor little guy.
    I don’t like anything that is sugar free. I find them to be sweeter tasting and I’m not a big sugar eater either. My daughter in law is allergic to artificial sweeteners and recently had an anaphylactic reaction and was in emergency. It’s in a lot of foods and just isn’t listed apparently. My nemesis are pastas. I’ve cut that out of my diet to about 3 times a month. I can imagine how beautiful the Georgia country side must be. We live in a beautiful country once you get away from the urban areas!
    I’m off the Bible study now - have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sad that your little boy is feeling his age and that his brother stole the warm, comfy new bed!! That shrimp always looks so good when you go there. A favorite of mine!! Stay warm up there!! xo

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell