Tuesday, July 21, 2015

From Treehouse To Tiny House

Since the advent of Treehouse Masters (Fridays, 10 pm, Animal Planet) about two or three years ago, I have desired a house high above the ground. Hubby and I know how to construct things. We have put in plumbing, electrical, carpentry, telephones, etc. How hard could it be, right? Famous Last Words. But time has been unkind and taken a toll on the frail shells we walk around in. So, with a heavy heart, that idea was laid aside. Now, thanks to watching Tiny House Nation the plan is to take a different tack. As soon as we’re able, a local distributor will supply the tiny pre-constructed building (8' x 16') with a porch and convert it to an extra bedroom with 1/2 bath. The buildings are surprisingly affordable and the manufacturer will finish them nearly anyway one desires. The new 8,000 BTU unit from the Great Air Conditioner Debacle purchased during the 4th of July weekend will be more than ample for comfort. 

Being a nature girl, I might even order the building with two windows placed together to make a small picture window facing the woods. We also plan to complete all our own electrical, plumbing, flooring, walls. It will save money going this route. 

Ok, I admit it, I’m also a bit of a control freak. *grin*
[click to enlarge]
The concrete block and solids (left) have been purchased to build the footers. This morning we began clearing the area of low limbs (middle & right), and were going to complete it, but the heat and humidity prematurely ran us inside. It is so bad right now I almost succumbed to heat prostration. Good thing there is lots of time.
[click to enlarge]
The inside decorations will be mostly Mason Jars (light fixtures, toothbrush holder, liquid soap holder, etc.) or anything that looks “country”. This is the plan, anyway, but as many know, the best laid plans may go awry.

Then I was racking my brain trying to come with a clever name for the shed. (I have to name everything.) A dear blogging friend came to the rescue! Cattales supplied an appropriate name for the new cabin: The Bird House. Clever, huh?! Why didn’t I think of that.


So that's been our week so far. What have y'all been up to?

8 comments:

  1. LOVE a project!!! Can't wait to see the pics and track the progress!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very happy for you!!! You and I both have been loving these tiny homes for several years now. Love your ideas for decorating and if I see anything similar I'll forward it to you. Be careful in this heat; maybe it won't be too much longer before cooler temps arrive. Thanks for sharing the photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I'm excited to see it a,lol come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. {giggling} I'm moving in!!! LOL---I can't wait to see the finished pictures. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching those shows as well, and am so excited for you to have your own tiny house. You two are so smart...cant wait to see the progress and then the finished product. Keep us posted along the way. Stay cool...if possible. Fall is around the corner and with it, cooler temps - we hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well The Birdhouse is far better than what I would have come up with...Sparkette. Ha! This is going to be a fun autumn project for you guys. How fun to have a little nest not so far away. A guestroom of sorts for all the folks you'll be hosting???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your ideas! The Bird House is a great name for your place too! Your land is absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all come to be. You are lucky to have the know-how to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If/When I move, this is my plan as well. I MUST have a studio and a pre-fab small building is just the ticket. I've begun making design plans and, like you, will do the inside work myself and with the help of nephews who are skilled at a number of things. woohoo! It's going to be FUN!

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell