Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cay Creek Wetlands Interpretive Center

Yesterday, we traveled to the Savannah Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina again. It was cold, windy and overcast with very few migratory birds yet. So, after making the 4 mile loop around the park, we headed south towards home.

There we discovered a new public nature walk that is now open. It's near the little community of Midway, Liberty County, GA. Cay Creek is located just west of I-95 off Highway 84.

The Cay Creek wetlands was set aside for the public in honor of Mayor, Willis Britten Hollingsworth (1998-2001).

Since I'm related to many Hollingsworth, I thought I'd check out his lineage. I couldn't find a connection to my bunch (not yet, anyway) but for those interested, I found some of his genealogy here:

Hollingsworth, Willis Britten (1930 - 2001) - male
b. 24 JAN 1930 in Tifton Co., Georgia, USA
d. 22 APR 2001 in Midway, Liberty Co, Georgia
s/o Willis Britten Hollingsworth, Sr. and Minnie Hazel Cook
Source: Bissett/Cook Family

I also found this about Mayor Hollingsworth on-line:

Willis Hollingsworth, Jr. (DVM 1955) of Savannah, mayor of Midway for the past nine years, died April 22. With a deep interest in nature, he made the Cay Creek Wetland Interpretive Center a major project of his for the past five years.
Source: Class Notes, Grad Notes, and Obituaries; December 2001: Vol. 81, No. 1

Turns out, even in the face of adversity, he was quite a 'do-er'. He lost his first wife in a tragic auto accident but still he persevered and made a good life for himself.

The free open access walkway winds it's way through the woodlands leading down to the salt marshes of Cay Creek. Like all wetlands, it has abundant wildlife and native plants to view. Even though it was a ugly overcast day we still enjoyed the stroll through old Georgia. Then we hopped back in the car and had a hearty meal at Captain Joe's Seafood on US Hwy 17 before heading home.


Cay Creek Sign



Best to begin at the begin



Cay Creek Elevated Walkway



Observation Tower



Can you tell I DON'T like heights!



Now that's a good lookin' guy there! :)



Too bad the picnic area was flooded.
It would be lovely to have lunch here some day.



Holly Tree
Anyone know the species and name?


I'm glad we went now. This trip was definately worth the effort.

All photos are here for those interested.

Hope you enjoyed the trip too! ;)

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great trip. I do see your "death grip" on the bench!!!! ha I'm with you, I'm not much on heights either! I'm off to see the rest of your pictures. You two have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh that looks so pretty! GREAT pictures and honestly you look just cool as a cucumber on the tower. I lurve the elevated walk way. Reminds me of Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'eve, Sparky ~ I am with you on the heights! No TY!!

    What a lovely trip you had ... love that bridge, the green woods, outdoors, fresh air ... oh, sorry, I got carried away, we are still buried under 54" of snow in MD.

    Beautiful & TY for sharing.

    Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell