Monday, September 1, 2008

Arts and Crafts of Myra and Dad

It's a rainy day in our Georgia paradise. Hurricane Gustav is playing with Louisianna, hundreds of miles away. Our little area is enjoying some nice, easy rain off of it. Steve is napping in his easy chair, watching TV, and I was strolling around the house looking at all our nice photos, art work, and other 'treasures'. I thought it would be a good idea to share. Above is one of Myra's works: Mabry's Mill in Virginia. I don't know the precise year she painted this one. Myra didn't date her work, but I think it was in the early 1980's (but that could be inaccurate).

These treasures are only treasured by me, I'm sure. They are the works of my now deceased step-mother, Myra Cook Ackman and my adopted father Donald Willard Ackman. Myra was a talented artist.

The one above is her rendition of the Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Canaveral in Titusville, Florida where I grew up. The building is so large it could be easily seen from across Indian River.

Dad found late in life that he could create beautiful woodwork. He had quite a collection of tools in his workshop when he died. These tools were given to his good friend and neighbor Clyde Lovelace. That was OK, since I already have a workshop full of new tools (and prefer them over the old ones). To the right is one of Dad's rocking chairs. It was modeled after Mum Mum's rocker. Mrs. Edna Bella Ehle Ackman, affectionately known as "Mum Mum", was my grandmother and his mother.

Dad also crafted little wallhanging do-dads, like the sconces and clock below that he sold at craft shows. I put the artificial orange flower on the sconces and painted the Southwest art on the clock. :o) Well, I thought they were too plain. I had to trash them up a little.
Well, that's the end of our tour Ladies and Gentleman. I hope you enjoyed my little trip down Memory Lane. Thanks for tagging along. Please file out single file and be sure to sign the Guestbook (leave a comment) on your way out. Friendly Folks are always welcome here!

I miss ya 'Mom'. 'Til we all meet in Heaven. ♥ ∞



Donald Willard Ackman (adopted father)
Born: 02 March 1924 Imperial, Allegheny County, PA
Died: 03 January 2006 Forest City, Rutherford County, NC
Cremated, remains rest in Titusville, Florida

Myra Cook Morgan Ricketts Ackman (step mother)
born: 09 January 1921 Democrat, Letcher County, KY
Died: 18 Janaury 2004 Forest City, Rutherford County, NC
Cremated, remains at lawyer's office in Forest City, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell