Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Press Any Key To Continue Putting Out Fires ...

What a day this has been! We've been trapped inside like hamsters in a cage due to a weather system dragging up copious amounts of rain from the Gulf of Mexico. It has literally poured all day. Not being in a cleaning mood, I figured it was a good day to get our new Windows 8 computers up-to-speed.


Not to brag, but I was quite proficient on the XP's. I had all that right clicking and such down pat. Now it feels like I'm having to start all over again with learning how to use the Windows 8.1. It took me a week to figure out how to have a word processing program again. These things aren't sold with MicroSoft Works anymore (cheap skates). My beloved Lotus 1-2-3 program that I've used 'forever', well, at least since I graced the business world, is no longer compatible. Lotus had the best SpreadSheets hands down. Oh well. So, I googled what to do about it. The Windows 8 had pre-installed a free WordPad program. It's not fancy but it gets the job done. That's what I'm pecking away at right now. I've even taught myself how to 'pin' programs that I use consistently to the bottom taskbar. [patting self on back] If you can recommend any other word processing programs, preferably free or cheap, I'm all ears.

My husband is enjoying his new 10" HP Laptop. He's only yelled at it a couple of times.

So far. [smile]

We're both having to resave all our favorite bookmarks. That's been fun. [not] At least I had the presence of mind to copy down all the bookmarks before shutting down the old XP's in an e-mail and send them to myself. Now I have permanent files of all my if I don't have them I'll get even weirder needed haunts.


And that's been our day. Busy work that doesn't amount to a hill of beans. My brain is now fried and I could use a good soak in the tub. Maybe with a glass of wine?

Maybe the bottle ... ?? [just kidding]

I may take out the metal steed for a nice spin tomorrow. I have an Orthodontist appointment in a neighboring town. It is suppose to be beautiful with highs in the mid-60's. That's a little chilly for April in southeast Georgia but I like it. I'll have to wear the thick Mercury jacket. Alas, I'm sure it will become more like the South again with steaming hot weather. Dreadful Summer is not too far distant. I do so dislike that time of year.


3 comments:

  1. I had to be introduced to Windows 8 too when I bought my last laptop. I wasnt sure I was going to like it at all, but having had it for several months now, I do. Do you have the update Windows 8.1? They keep offering it to me (free), but am so afraid it will mess up my computer, that I keep putting it off. It didnt rain so much here, but turned cold early in the day and now the sun is out. Not many clouds so it will be freezing tonight for sure. Hoping for a warmer tomorrow, and like you, I detest the hot, steamy summer, but after the winter we had, I will make it through this year without complaining as much...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Vista operating system. I like it and not wanting to change. Liam has 8 on his laptop and he loves it. ANYWAYS--Wanna' share the bottle with me? (giggles)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going to stick with Win 7 until they come out with Win 9, which unlike 8.x ought to work if past history holds true.

    We are also swapping boxes around and replacing one with a laptop for moi,and mucking about with drives, and new RAM, and the right version (64bit) of Win 7 to put on it....
    I share your pain!

    Enjoy your ride tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell