Saturday, January 4, 2014

Did You Snow?

“Come now, and let us reason together,” saith the Lord. “Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." [Isaiah 1:18] KJV

I’ve been sitting here in my toasty warm southern abode, smelling the scrumptious aromas wafting from the kitchen. What's in the pot? We're cooking a revised version of Mrs. Garcia’s Black Bean Soup. It's simmering on the stove for our evening repast (served with crispy Italian Bread, of course). I‘ve been wondering how my bloggy friends are holding out further north with that scary snow storm pounding the Northeast like a fist. Our area has warmed slightly and it’s dried out. No hope of snow here, I should think.

Being a "deep south" girl, snow is an almost magical phenomena to me. I didn’t grow up with it nor have I ever really experienced real snowfall. I have been in what is commonly called “a flurry“. Big woof, right? [lol] Reader’s Digest Special Humor Issue this month has an article about snow called The White Stuff.

Here are a couple of snow facts from the article:
Q: Do you know why we see snow as white?

A: It is all to do with how the sides of the snowflakes reflect light. All the colors in the spectrum scatter out from the snow in roughly equal proportions, which we perceive as whiteness. Very deep snow can appear blue.

Q: Is it true that no two snowflakes are alike?

A: Yes. Every snowflake has a basic six-sided structure, but because of its spiraling descent it sculpts each in a unique way. Air temperature and moisture make the difference.
Then there’s snowflakes and snow crystals. And on and on. There’s more such interesting facts on snow available on the internet.

I'll be so thankful when we can ride again but I know up North that's not a possibly for many more weeks. The weather is simply not cooperating. Or, is that an understatement? [smile] And I just wanted to say I am praying for everyone to stay warm and safe this weekend.

~ Ride Safe ~
Sparky

5 comments:

  1. I love that your prayer is for others...What a kind heart you have.
    I don't see snow here at all...(lip poking out and arms folded and crossed as I pout about it.) :))
    But, I know that there are some folks from the North who would trade in some snow right now, so I won't be in such a hurry to complain about not seeing snow....(for the time being.)
    Sending you warm hugs, Sparky.
    When you do ride, ride safe.
    (Hubby has had a couple of Harleys...he doesn't have a bike right now...and I think that he misses riding.)
    Hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the soup sounds wonderful on this cold night.
    They told me they had snow in Clarkesville yesterday. We saw many icicles hanging from rocks along the roads there.
    Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup in the winter is just a must and yours sounds really good. Dont think we are to get any snow, but bitter cold on Mon., with a high of 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making me smile. We eat alot of soup in the winter time. (now more than every lol)--no riding here until May, if your lucky. I am told we get snow up until Easter. AND let me be the 1st to tell you, that is the truth, we were here in March until early April last year and it was snowing. When we moved at the end of May, it was still chilly, not cold, but not warm. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. The frigid cold is over for now and I'm grateful. It was truly dreadful and life threatening.

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell