Monday, May 11, 2009

Sam And The Snake

Sam Jr. and Maxie

Our miniature Schnauzer, Sam Jr., doesn't know when to quit. He's really bad about pushing an issue with whatever animal life is in front of him. He's so contentious that he always has to be Boss Dog in every situation. He darn near got killed by a German Shepherd that lived next door to dad in North Carolina.

For the newbies at my blog, Sam was my father's dog until he died in 2006.

Today, Sam encountered his first snake.

Well, not really his first. The first one that I know of was a Coral Snake in the back yard. I caught him flipping it up in the air one day and put a stop to that! Coral snakes are poisonous. I picked it up and put it out into the woods.

Yeah, I like snakes. So, I saved the little guy's neck (if he has one).

But this time, before I could react, Sam approached the snake, it instinctively coiled and struck Sam right in the throat. Ouch! Now he has two bloody tooth marks on his throat. Rat snakes have very sharp, needle-like teeth.


Actually, this is a good thing. We were hoping that he would mess with a non-poisonous variety first. Southeast Georgia has multitude of Rattle Snakes and they are pretty deadly. Whenever I go strolling in the woods, I'm sure to wear my snake proof boots. They don't always rattle, you know.

So, now poor Sam is laying on the floor, trembling and licking his feet. I put an antiseptic salve on the wound and comforted him as best I could. He'll feel better by morning. But that'll larn 'em. He was lucky ... this time.

10 comments:

  1. Sparky, I'm so sorry. I know you'll take good care of Sam and I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused, Is it your boots or the snakes that don't always rattle? Get well Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little schnauzer, Riley, is full of vinegar and chases anything that moves. I'm always afraid of him getting into trouble. I hope Sam will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary. I hope Sam is going to be OK.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sparky, I have a response to your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carey ~ It's me that doesn't always rattle. [tee hee] Thanks for the comment at your blog. You are so kind. I (and hubby too) appreciate your friendship more than words can say. :o)

    Thanks y'all for the kind words. Sam seems OK today (Tuesday) but he does have a little blood in his stool. I'm watching him. He seems OK just sore. Poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Glad to hear that Sam is doing better. I must say my dear, I find you must be very brave or very nuts for living where things are poisonous. For that simple reason I am glad I was birthed in the boring PNW and haven't had sufficient reason to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lanny ~ Can't both be correct (brave AND nuts??!)? ha ha I want to visit the Pacific Northwest someday. Your photos are so beautiful I have to go see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ACK!! YOU LIKE SNAKES! ACK ACK ACK! I will have nightmares of the photo you posted. Poor doggy. I am with doggy. Bite those bad snakes and kill them all! OK I am a freak. I know. I admit it. Still. You saved a coral snake?

    I'm not sure whether to be in awe or fear or what....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl Next Door ~ I'll happily accept all the "shock and awe" I can get. [giggle] :o) Thanks for stopping by! Can I borrow your new shoes??

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell