Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Grandpa Tell Me 'Bout The Good 'Ol Days

I thought it would be fun to share some of the drugs that were legal in the good 'ol days.

Bayer's Heroin
A bottle of Bayer's heroin. Between 1890 and 1910 heroin was sold as a non-addictive substitute for morphine. It was also used to treat children with strong cough.

[hack] [hack] "Pass the Heroin, would ya dear? I feel a cold coming on."


Metcalf Coca Wine was one of a huge variety of wines with cocaine on the market. Everybody used to say that it would make you happy and it would also work as a medicinal treatment.


Mariani wine (1875) was the most famous Coca wine of it's time. Pope Leo XIII used to carry one bottle with him all the time. He awarded Angelo Mariani (the producer) with a Vatican gold medal.


Produced by Maltine Manufacturing Company of New York. It was suggested that you should take a full glass with or after every meal. Children were supposed to take half a glass.


Here's a paper weight promoting C. F. Boehringer & Soehne (Mannheim, Germany). They were proud of being the biggest producers in the world of products containing Quinine and Cocaine.

Maybe the Columbian's should mass produce these now? They could give them to the Mexicans to pass along to the black gangs in L.A. and they give them out as souvenirs with each purchase.

Just thinking out loud here.


Opium for Asthma. Now this one mystifies me. I don't see how opium would help someone with asthma unless it helped them not to give a rats @$$.

Who needs air when you've got pink elephants dancing on the head of a pin, right? [lol]


Cocaine Tables from 1900
All stage actors, singers, teachers and preachers had to have them for a maximum performance. Great to "smooth" the voice.

This explains some of the strange sermons and beliefs I've read about from that time period ...


Cocaine drops were very popular for children in 1885. Not only did they relieve the pain, they made the children happy!

No doubt.


And lastly, there was opium for newborns. I'm sure this would make them sleep well because not only is it Opium, but it's also 46% alcohol.

No comment.


And now you know why it's always called the Good 'Ol Days! They .. were .. just .. one .. big .. blur .....

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is funny! Just one big ol' blur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a toothache coming on.. How about a little help here? Fascinating Ma'am!

    The company Boehringer still exists too! My ex brother in law works there! It's a enormous pharmaceutical firm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mildred ~ I think this post is one big blur ... ha ha I'm stuck on drugs and booze this week. Need to change my tune. :o)

    Marie ~ I didn't know that Boehringer is still in business. Good for them. You know the only reason cocaine and such is illegal (and not other equally dangerous drugs) is because the fascist government decided to ban it for whatever reasons. [wink] I've never used and never will. I've studied the history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Takes cures what ails you to a new level. I bet kids taking cocaine drops did'nt have ADD. I like the phrase on the Pope's favorite wine cure, "It hastens convelesence."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a dork because 2 of the 3 IKEA chairs I just put together are totally crooked:) Ahhh!!!! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carey ~ It does indeedy take cures to a new 'level'. [smile] Really, though, it couldn't be much different than that weird stuff I was given for neck nerve pain! It made me wacky(er). I called the doc and told them I wasn't taking that anymore. I'd rather have surgery.

    Joyce ~ But was it a Purple Haze? ha ha

    Marie ~ Those IKEA chairs are hard to assemble anyway, it's not you. Let your intended finish them. That's what men are for, right? LOL!! ((Hugs)) back dawlink

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh, where do you find these things....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe that's why everyone was always so happy...or so they say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melody ~ I find a lot of these ideas on the internet, TV or other sources.

    Iva ~ Could be. Or maybe it was just that American government was less intrusive then which led to more overall joy. :o)

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell