Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Too Old To Die Young

Happy Birthday To Me!


I LOVE birthdays!

Especially mine.

It means I'm still alive.

I like that.

It annoys all the right people.

So, we're out and about today. Hubby has plans that he won't share with me ... yet ... about what he has in store. So, you'll just have to wait too to see what the Sparkster et. el. where up to today. [smile]

In the meantime, how about some old photos?

The first one is my birthmother. Once I made up my mind to find her, it took me all of three weeks to find her burial location. Yeah, she was deceased by the time I got 'round to locating her. Mary died in a tragic auto accident in June of 1980 in Yulee, Florida, just about 18 months before my search.

Too little, too late.

But ... I have learned oodles about my roots irregardless. I'm still glad I searched (and so are many other folks going by all the e-mail of Thanks I get).

My birthmother, Marian Estelle "Mary" McMahan (left), and a friend

In the above photo, Mary was preggers with me. Being unmarried she wisely allowed me to be adopted by a loving married two parent family. I wish I could have told her "Thank you for not killing me". Sure do appreciate that.

Now finding my birthfather, since he wasn't named on my original birth certificate, is a real detective story! Pappy would have been proud of me. You can run, but you can't hide ... am I right Pappy? Never tell this ol' Bulldog (me) that something can't be done because then I will probably do it.

I've learned a lot in my short 53 years on Earth.

Here's a few of my pearls of wisdom. Feel free to leave your pearls too.

* After all my family research, and helping others do the same, I'm amazed at how closely related we all are.

* Life is very precious and every moment should be treasured. It can be tragically short or painfully long. But a good attitude makes the path a whole lot more pleasant.

* That friends may come and go, but they stay in our hearts forever.

* Our Judeo-Christian western European capitalist culture really is superior to all others. There's no denying history.

* That a loved ones smile or gentle touch at just the right moment is worth more than diamonds and gold.

* And mostly, but certainly not lastly, that God's love above all else stands the tests of time, even unto death. He is always there for us.

Now, off we go to celebrate the end of Sparky Birth Month. [tee hee]

Thanks for coming by and singing "Happy Birthday". Sing loud now so I can hear you!! :o)

Freshly Squeezed Sparky


15 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Happy Birthday to you! Freshly squeezed Sparky is the cat's meow! Your spiky little hair is adorable:)

    You Mum was a knockout.. What a heart wrenching and tough decision for her to have to make. That's a tough woman.. What a tragedy that she died so young and never got to see her wonderful Sparky girl! (although she can see you from heaven now :)

    Have wonderful surprise filled Birthday my dea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a very happy day!!!
    Thanks for sharing the photos. Your birth mom would be very proud of the loving, joyful person you have become. Thanks for being a great blog friend. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Sweetie, ready to rock the town? No? Me either, how about shopping and a quiet dinner out, fine food and some good wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Sparky, happy birthday to youuuuuu. I know you are dyslexic, because you wrote 53 when you meant 35. Bebe had the hardest time getting past 39. My mother lied about her age until she was eighty. Hope you are having a great one. Pappy and Bebe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Sparkyyyyyyyyyyy! Happy birthday to yooooooouuuuuuuuuu! I LOVE that you have pictures of your momma! Before I scrolled down to read what you said, I said to myself, oh my ~ she looks pregnant?! ha ha You were AD-OR-AB-LE newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, how cute are YOU!!!!!!

    Happy Birthday, Sparky! Hope your hubby has a super faboo surprise for you!

    XOXO
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I hope you and hubby had a wonderful day together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Sparky,hope you celebrated in style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Happy stinking birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks y'all! Like I always say, I'm so lucky to have y'all as friends. I appreciate you're stopping by and wishing me a happy one. Thanks too to Kat for the wonderful, sweet card! I almost cried at that one. And Pappy & Bebe's 'lieing' about my age ... gosh, good friends are truly hard to come by. You've helped to make my day extra special. Thank you.

    Hubby took me to Bonefish Grill in St. Simons Island for a truly delicious meal!! Wow! Those Bang Bang Shrimp are something else. [drool] He also gave me cake and ice cream. I think I'll keep him (at least a little while longer). [lol]

    ((Hugs)) Sparky :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, cute pictures. Glad to hear the day was good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your caption under your baby photo made me laugh:) Happy Birthday and eat lost and lots of cake because there are no calories in Birthday cake.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday, Dear Friend (this still totally counts. I'm thinking of creating birthday weeks for my nearest and dearest friends - starting with me of course, I, like you - ADORE my birthday. Not because of presents. But just because it means God has kept me on this earth just a year longer)

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell