Saturday, May 2, 2009

Shadetree Mechanic's R Us

My better half put a set of Lowering Links on my Suzuki V-Strom today. My bike has been just a little too tall to flat foot it at a full stop. With the Lowering Links in place, I can now rest my feet completely on the ground.


In the rear, he replaced the two factory suspension links with two after market suspension links which are about 1/2 inch longer. This raised the rear suspension by about 7/8 inch thus lowering the bike so I can reach the ground easier.


One of the new Lowering Links



I learned something new. I've owned this bike for over 2 years and didn't know the gears were plainly displayed on the front sprocket cover.


Everything went along dreamily until he got to the plastic pop rivets on the fairing. The fairing has to be open to reach the forks.


"These *&^% plastic pop rivets are making me vewy angry!"



"Now open wide and say 'Ahhhhh'"

The bike with the fairing open.


The source of all the cussing ... I mean, fussing.



Then he raised the front forks by 7/8 inch by loosening the pinch bolts on the front yokes. This lowered the front to the same as the rear. It has to be precisely balanced or it can be a disastrous ride!


I played with Maxie for awhile. I'm surprised she braved the torrent of flying insects. This little dog HATES bugs with a purple passion but she will walk over hot coals to play with that tennis ball.

Well, now we go out to eat and try to cool off ...


"This crab is really fresh, isn't it?"

I hope y'all have a great weekend. We're going riding!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like quite a job! All we did was take a floor fan apart to clean it and thought we would never get it back together!
    I hope dinner is wonderful and hope you enjoy your ride. Are you having rain today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be much more comfortable to have your feet planted steadily on the ground! It just feels more safe and sound! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never show Bebe these posts. It's amazing how much hard work you get out of hubby. Now the rider behind you can't see the soles of your shoes at traffic lights. Have a great Sunday. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mildred ~ Nah, it was an easy job ... for me. [lol]
    We hopped into the cage (car) and drove to Jacksonville, FL instead. The dirt road is too scary when it turns to sugar sand. [shudder]
    No rain. Please send some our way? It's dry as powdered toast here.

    Marie ~ Much much more comfy!

    Pappy ~ I guess showing the soles of my feet is better than showing something else? [my bad] :o)
    p.s. Wanna go to Alabama this week? We're going to the Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham on Wednesday. Grab Bebe and come on over! We will also break bread with our other mutual blogging friend, Linda, et.el.

    God bless y'all. :o)

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell