Friday, May 8, 2009

Now I Know Why It's Called Sweet Home Alabama

Now I understand that song! I've been to southern Alabama many, many times and was not really enamoured. This trip we journeyed to northern Alabama. The Birmingham - Tuscaloosa countrysides, in my never-to-be-humble opinion, are absolutely breathtaking!

This journey to far off lands was to visit the greatly acclaimed Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in Leeds near Birmingham. Well, everything good said about it is true. The BVMM is one of the best motorcycle museums I've visited to date.


First, though, we went a little further into Alabama to visit my new good bloggy friend, Gator Mom and her delightful family. This is the first of what I hope are many visits with Gator Mom and family. They sure are nice folks and we had a splendid time. 'The boy' is an intellegent, well-rounded young man. We plan to do something special for him, but don't tell. [shhh] Hubby has something he wants to give the boy that I think he will really treasure.


The museum has multiple over sized statuary scattered about the 720 acres. I wish I had made a note of the name of this one. These out front were about 12 feet high and quite impressive. The driveway up to this place took a while to get there from the highway turn off.


The museum is five floors of vintage motorcycles and a few automobiles, bicycles, and outboard motors. These are all real working machines.


Even the elevator was impressive! It was completely transparent. I have a fear of heights but rode the elevator anyway and I'm glad I did. At least I can say "I did it once".


One of the Easy Rider custom choppers was located for the museum. This was the one that the film crew used in the wreck at the end movie. So, it had to be refurbished and reassembled for display. There are strict rules about DO NOT TOUCH and DO NOT SIT ON BIKES. I can't tell ya how tempting it was to hop on some of these beauties and ride off into that lovely Alabama sunset!

"No officer, I didn't touch the bike!"

Yeah, it's a mannequin. First time I saw this I had to do a double take.


Here we are in front of one of the vintage Triumph displays. I had to drag him away from the Triumph's. :o) "Silly boy, PUT THE CREDIT CARD DOWN!" [lol]

Oh, and a special note, there is a superb Bass Pro Shops practically 'next door' (as next door as over 800 acres will allow). The driveway up to this place alone is worth the stop. It's so overdone with the 'outdoorsy look' that it reminds me of DisneyWorld. The inside was wall-to-wall outdoor clothing, fishing equipment, guns, pet products, etc. There was even a simulator for children to play Nascar. Back to outside: the landscaping was to die for! I now have some really good ideas for future yard projects, on a smaller scale, of course ... (my husband just sighed and rolled his eyes ... ha ha)


Sadly, it was time to leave. We hugged Gator Mom and family goodbye with promises of writing, calling and visiting. It was raining when we left. The roadsides were all green and lush with profusions of lovely nameless wildflowers.

We left Birmingham heading southeast and drove over a small mountain. We're hoping to go back again as much as possible. I just want to live at the museum! Do you think they'd notice if I built a house right on the grounds? [lol]

There are many more photos. The whole enchilada has been uploaded to MyPhotoAlbum. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I don't think that they would notice one bit, you just go do it and tell us how it all works out for ya! Go Sparky!

    I'm trying a new hat on for size, Instigator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to meet you at the museum. It is wonderful for all not just bike lovers. lol

    I love when we go riding on the back roads of our beautiful state. But hey Georgia has some great rides too.

    Haven't been to the Bass Pro Shop yet but have heard some great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lanny ~ Where the heck have you been gal!? Oh, I know, you're probably buried up to your elbows in dirt with all the gardening. [lol]

    Valerie ~ Do y'all live in Alabama?? I didn't know that! Absoluetly you couldn't met us there. It's a fantastic place. We had a grand time. You live in a garden spot fer shure. It was nice to not have gnats buzzing our faces the whole time like here. [sigh]

    Thanks for stopping by. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your trip. What an interesting place and great photos. I'm close enough I can get you out of jail if you try building there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the COOLEST! A vintage motorcycle museum!! Swoon swoon and double swoon! I miss the state of y birth! I'm glad that the Northern part rocked your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five floors of vintage motorcycles? You must have been in heaven!
    You didn't happen to see a NIMBUS, did you?

    Glad you're having a wonderful trip!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great ride. We hope to be riding in a couple of weeks when Bebe finishes her school duties. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a nice trip. If you quietly move in near the museum just jump on a bike and if you see
    a staff member coming ,act like a mannequin. Maybe they will think your part of the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mildred ~ Darn it, I do think they would jail me for it. (Oppsy!)

    Marie ~ Northern Alabama rocks! How can you live anywhere else?! [grin]

    Kat ~ It was indeed pure heaven. Ahhhh ...

    Pappy ~ I think you and Bebe would really enjoy this place. It's fabulous. Maybe we could hear another of your fantastic poems about it? It's just begging for a good rhyme. :o)

    Carey ~ Good idea. I like the way you think! [lol]

    Thanks y'all! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sparky.

    Job change & other stress-producing factors have silenced my keyboard for a while. I'll just sit back and enjoy y'all and wait until I have something edifying to say. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since the claim is that they're all in working order you should be able to test them! Excellent adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WingMaster ~ Gosh, sorry to hear about all the stress. Maybe you just need to ride more?? :o) Hope your days are brighter soon.

    Muse ~ I like the way you think girlfriend! [giggle]

    Thanks for stopping by y'all! :o)

    ReplyDelete

⭐ A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. ~ Walter Winchell